Travel Agency and Tour Operator in Misahualli | Tena | Napo | Ecuador
Misahualli | Tena | Napo | Ecuador
Calle Napo y José Tan dalia - primera planta
Email: selvaverde_sa@yahoo.com
Phone: 0998215710 | 062 890165
+593 99 821 5710

Limoncocha Wildlife Reserve

Limoncocha Wildlife Reserve
5 days

Limoncocha Biological Reserve is located on the left bank of the Napo River in the province of Sucumbios, 60 km from Francisco de Orellana (or Coca). This beautiful reserve is home to a large variety of Amazonian animal species. It has a primary rainforest which is inhabited by over 350 species of birds and that represents one of its main assets. It also has reptiles and mammals. Limoncocha is famous for its black caimans.

Limoncocha is an ecosystem of great importance and one of the most beautiful places in Ecuador, especially because here there are species of flora and fauna of great scientific interest.
It was declared a protected area on September 23rd, 1985. It boasts 4, 613.25 acres of tropical rainforest. It has an average temperature of 26.9 degrees Celsius and a rainfall of 3,058 mm per annum. It houses the Limoncocha lagoon. 88% of the surface is of primary rainforest, the remaining 12% is covered by scrub and a permanently flooded swamp.

The reserve has 73 species of mammals, equivalent to 38.2% of the total number of species in the Ecuadorian Amazon, and 20.2% of all species recorded in Ecuador. The most numerous mammals are herbivores and fruit-eating mammals, amounting to 58.1% of all recorded species, omnivores, at 17.6% and carnivores are registered at 4.1%. They live in an area with various aquatic environments, permanent swamps, and land. As for the vegetation, one can find similar species to those in the neighboring areas of Cuyabeno and Yasuni.
Limoncocha has one of the most extraordinary natural attractions in its lagoon, which has an area of approximately 370 hectares of water surface.

Itinerary:

1st Day: Departure from Misahualli. We travel by motorized canoe down the Napo River for 6 hours to Coca, enjoying the beautiful scenery of the forest and its beautiful white sand river beaches. At noon we stop to eat a delicious lunch and then continue to Coca where we will continue by private car for 2 hours until we reach the Limoncocha reserve. Then we take a canoe to cross the lagoon to camp at the Supaycocha cabin lodge for 4 nights.

2nd Day: We walk in primary forest for 4 hours to see flora and fauna. The guide will explain about medicinal plants, palm trees and timber-yielding trees. We will observe monkeys. The trek’s highlight is a visit to a giant ceiba tree which is about 1500 years old. Next we return to the camp for a delicious lunch. In the afternoon we go fishing for fun.

Day 3: We walk for 3 hours along another path where macaws, toucans and other bird species are found. Return to the camper was. After our lunch at the campsite, we will go by traditional canoe paddle prehistoric bird species to observe the Huoatzines. After our dinner we go on a nighttime canoe trip to observe black caymans.

4th Day: We travel to the area of Inifan to take a short 2-hour hike. On this tour timber species are learnt about. After lunch, in the afternoon we can go fishing or go by traditional canoe to go birdwatching. At night we can go on a nocturnal walk or go by motorised or traditional canoe to observe species of frogs.

Day 5: After our breakfast we leave for the station where we take a car to the Archaeological Museum of Pompeii (CICAME). Located on the island of Pompeii, the CICAME Museum brings together the largest and most important collection of funerary pottery belonging to Phase Napo (1188AD), as well as many other pieces belonging to different local indigenous cultures. After our visit, we leave for the bus station and take a bus to Coca where the tour ends.
Description of the cabins: Accommodation in rustic cabins, single, double, triple and quadruple rooms, beds with mattresses and mosquito nets, private baths and showers, kitchen and restaurant.

The price includes: Accommodation in tents and all necessary equipment, food, purified water 24 hours a day, terrestrial and motorized river transport, rubber boots and a local bilingual guide.

Not included: Breakfast on the first day and dinner on the last day, torches and rain ponchos.